Friday, March 25, 2011

Craft of the Week: Knitting!

I woke up this morning and thought "What should I do today? Oh yes, update my totally awesome blog!"

Then I went to work and forgot all about it.  So here I am now updating, trying despartately to think about what I'm going to blog about as I stall by finishing this sentence... Ah, yes.  Let's do a craft of the week.  And since this is my blog, I'm gonna start off with something I know: Knitting.



If I had a basket of yarn, it would be a basket of RAINBOW yarn. Just sayin.
 I know what you're thinking: Ndeya, knitting is so lame, only old women with 3+ cats talk about knitting.  This is where you would be wrong.  Oh so wrong.  Because knitting is actually kind of fabulous, and here's why:
  • It can be relaxing!  I often knit when I'm stressed out.  The constant motion of the hands and fingers kind of lulls you into calmness and contentment.  It's definitely a stress reliever.
  • It focuses your energies into a single goal:  finish the project! When you're knitting something with an intricate pattern, or just something that requires a little more brain power than the regular knit-purl-repeat I use so often in my knitting projects, you're gonna need to keep count of how many stitches and rows you have to follow the pattern.  If you don't you will end up in knitting hell-- there will be tears, and trust me, no matter how loud you yell at your yarn it will not add the stitches you lost, nor will make accidentally added stitches disappear.  It's important to keep your focus so your end result is favorable.  As an added bonus, focusing on the knitting helps you to focus less on how much your life might suck.
  • You can make stuff you'll actually use!  As an avid scarf wearer, I can attest to this.  And you can make more than just scarves (although, to be honest, that's all I've been able to officially complete when it comes to knitting projects... I'm still a novice, forgive me).  You can knit socks, vests, shirts, pants, dresses, potholders, bookmarks, purses, bags, babie booties, hats, headbands, gloves, mittens, legwarmers....  These are all things you can use or wear on a daily basis, which is why knitted gifts are always so awesome.
  • You feel really cool after you've finished a project.  I always think about how probably millions of women used to knit/crochet/cross stitch all the time to make clothes, and we just take it for granted.  I'm just saying, it's a little kick-ass, don't you agree?
So, I took a couple of quick pics of a selection of scarves I have out of the DOZENS I have in my collection (I love scarves. Seriously.).  I picked them out because I know they are handmade with love and I wear them often.


Three Scarves and a Holiday Garland

 This scarf was made by my Grandma.  It's not actually a scarf, it's called something else, but I don't remember the name of it.  Anyway, instead of having two ends, it's connected, like one big circle.  You can wear it like a necklace that you just double wrap.  I have a picture of it worn at the bottom of the post.


 This is a scarf I actually made myself.  I'm pretty sure it was one of the scarves I made for Kourtney for Valentine's Day.  It's a little bit on the short side, but she's a little on the short side, so it all works out!

 This scarf was made for me by my friend Kaitlin.  She made me three scarves in all, this one, a mint green one, and an off white one with beads on the ends that spelled MAMA and NDEYA (some of my friends called me Mama in high school, it's kind of an inside joke...)

 The great thing about Yarn is that you can use it for more than just clothes.  I made this Garland for our first Harvest Feast (mentioned in the last blog) It's like a bazillion miles long, but I bundled it to fit the picture.  Fun fact: I made it by hand-knitting, which is basically knitting on your fingers instead of with knitting needles. I used to make these a lot when I was in grade school.

You can't really see the scarf too well in this picture (bad lighting), but you can kinda tell that it's wrapped around twice for a snug, warm fit.  Great for colder weather.

AHA! I just found this one.  This is kourtney actually wearing the scarf I made her. YAY! She looks kinda silly in this picture, but I'm sure she won't mind me posting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment