Thursday, March 24, 2011

Um... Photo Montage?

First off, let me squee a little as I announce this blog has had 34 views in three days. *squee!*

I know, it's only 34 views, but hey, that's better than zero views!  I'm kicking ass!  Anyway, I've realized that I have another segment I want to do, and I don't really have a name for it yet, but this is how it's gonna work: I'm gonna post a picture from my life (a picture of some significance) and I'm going write the story behind it.  That way, those of you who don't know me can get to know me, and those of you who do know me can reminesce with me. 

Alright, let's get this started! Let me dig through my photo library......


Our Altar From Last Year's Harvest Feast
  This is a picture of the Altar we created for our annual Harvest Feast.  We started the Harvest Feast two years ago, when I (an eager baby pagan fascinated with all things Halloween) decided I wanted to do Halloween MY way.  I didn't want to go out drinking (I'm not old enough to drink anyway), and I didn't want to go trick or treating (you're NEVER too old to go trick or treating, but I wasn't feeling it that year).  I wanted to celebrate my favorite month of the year, spend time with family and friends, and really embrace this alternative way of experiencing my favorite holiday.  So I told my mom we were having a dinner party on October 31st.  It was happening, no backing down, we were gonna make a buttload of food and stuff our faces whether she liked it or not.  She agreed, and so began our Annual Harvest Feast.



The original feast was small (our apartment itself is small, so it's not like we can invited 20 people), but it was fun.  I dressed up like a kitchen wench and we roasted a chicken (using like 2 sticks of butter, it was delicious), made sweet potato and squash mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts with bacon bits, asparagus, soul cakes, spiced apple cider, and more.  Our guests also brought food, so it was just a massive potluck.  We decorated the house with color, tissue paper flowers and yarn garlands, and set up our small altar on the table-- the best spot in the house, reserved for any souls passing through, especially loved ones who had passed on and came back to visit on the night when the veil between our two worlds is thinnest.  We set up pictures and trinkets belonging to our loved ones, and set out a place of food just for them to enjoy.  Then we watched the Disney version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and stuffed our faces.  It was awesome.

We continued the Feast tradition last year, this time with my mother in charge (which was not good because she drives herself crazy when it comes to planning- I'm more laid back, relaxed when it comes to planning), and we had more people and more food.  I thuroughly enjoyed myself, but my mother definitely stressed out.  As we closed the door on the last guest, she sighed and said, "I'm never doing that again."  Well, SHE may not be doing it again, but I certainly will!



Our Assortment of Food... Before the Guests Arrived!


My Friends Know How To Get Down!

Gotta Love Togetherness.


No comments:

Post a Comment