Thursday, June 30, 2011

Baby Myley!

This post is long overdue.  For all of you who haven't heard the news:

I went up to Grass Valley the weekend of the 18th for my auntie's baby shower. This is her first baby, and she is definitely a long-awaited bundle of joy. My aunt and uncle have been trying to have a baby for a long time, and had pretty much convinced themselves that they couldn't have kids at this point, so when we found out in December that she was expecting we were shocked and super excited! Anyway, I got to Grass Valley Friday night, and Denise (my stepmom) took me to go help set up all the decorations for the baby shower, which had a Hawaiian theme. We spent 4 hours setting up and cooking, getting home at almost midnight. Then we stayed up an extra hour more just gabbing, looking at my grandma's buddy guy pictures, eating leftover chocolate cheesecake from Denise's birthday, etc. I was exhausted, but excited about the next day. I woke up at 8, we left the house at 9, and got to the baby shower at 10 to do some last minute setting up. We were so proud of ourselves because we worked so hard on the decorations, and we anxiously awaited Deanna's arrival. We knew she would be stoked!

Well, when she got there, and the baby shower began, Deanna seemed really distracted, and we wondered what was up. Was she okay? Her due date is near the end of July, so we figured she was just getting uncomfortable; its hard carrying a baby for 8 months! So we eat and talk, and we notice that within an hour Deanna had been to the bathroom about 6 or 7 times. What was up? Was this just pressure on her bladder, making her have to seriously pee every 10 minutes? A little after 1 o'clock Deanna and James pulled Denise aside and told her a secret: Deanna's water had broken early that morning. She was in labor! HOLY CRAP BALLS! When we asked them why they were at the baby shower and not the hospital, they said they knew how hard we had worked on the shower, and they wanted to open presents and games. Can you believe that? So nonchalant, like it was no big deal (I assume they were secretly freaking out, but they played it cool). We were shocked. We urged them to go to the hospital, but they wanted to open presents, so we loomed through all the gifts and then waved goodbye as they got into their truck and drove to sierra Nevada memorial, and we frantically packed everything up, dropped the presents off at their house, and met them in the maternity ward. At this point I knew I wasn't going home that night.

And so began our 8 hour vigil at the hospital, anxiously awaiting little Myley's surprise arrival. Everyone was super excited, even when the clock began to descend into the wee hours of the morning. Most of us sat in the waiting room, watching tv, drinking soda, and eventually eating pizza (we were in it for the long haul, so we got it delivered). Only a select few actually went into the delivery room as Deanna was in labor, but we were so excited we eagerly pressed our ears against the wall to listen as she began to push. It was brutal. She was in a lot of pain, you could hear it in her grunts and half-cries, although she was a trooper and never screamed like you see in movies. What a sight we must have been, a group of 15 adults and children, ears pressed against the wall like creepers, wincing with every contraction, giggling and commenting on how silly we were and yet refusing to move for fear that we would miss the big moment.

We all couldn't help ourselves!

And then we heard her. A little cry, we weren't even certain if it was her at first. Then a bigger, louder cry. Definitely her! Finally, at 12:53am, baby Myley had made her grand entrance. We cheered and cried and hugged, every one of us thinking "Yes! We were here to experience this! This is a story to tell our grandchildren!" What an exciting day! After about an hour we we were allowed to go see her. Beautiful, 5 pounds, 3 ounces, 17.5 inches long. Little, but healthy, and so adorable. We were all super jazzed, taking tons of pictures and giving mommy and daddy hugs and words of congratulations. Even our great grandma was there, and her bed time is usually 8pm! It was awesome, and exhausting for everyone involved, and totally worth it.
Baby Myley!

As we drove home, my brother Imani pointed to the sky and said "Look! A shooting star!" I looked out the window and saw it too, big and bright, a lucky omen. It was a beautiful way to end our adventure. The Goddess works in mysterious ways. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment