Saturday, February 18, 2012

Resolutions Update: How I'm Doing So Far

You might remember the post I made last month containing my 35 New Year's Resolutions for 2012.  That's definitely a lot to do in a short amount of time. Here's how I've been doing so far:

Things I've Done Well:
  • I've managed to successfully stay away from McDonald's.  Some of you might scoff at that, but seriously, it's kind of a big deal.  I'm a college student, I have limited funds and McDonald's is CHEAP. Plus, it's seriously a block away from my store, so I pass it multiple times to and from work.  It's also disgustingly good, I don't care what you say.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
  • Blog at least once a month. DONE.
  • Write recreationally at least once a month. I've actually been doing this in conjunction with my 35th resolution, which is to write a book.  I've been doing brainstorming, free writing, all that good stuff.  I'm just kinda chugging along with it in my spare time, but we'll see how it all turns out.  If it's really good, I might post some of it on here.
  • Celebrate all 8 Sabbats.  Okay, so far I've done okay with this one. I did celebrate Imbolc (post on that another time) but it was small, and not anything like I'd wanted it to be. I did what I could under the circumstances. Perhaps Ostara will be a little less lackluster, yes?
  • Take Kourtney Somewhere Special. For our anniversary I took Kourtney to a local Japanese restaurant and paid for dinner.  It was delicious and we got complimentary plum wine. When we got there she turned to me with a huge smile on her face and asked "Is this the 'somewhere special' that you said you were going to take me?"  I told her no; I actually wanted to do something even more special than dinner.  But I'm glad she was so excited about it.

Things That Need Improvement:

  • Pray Daily.  Okay, perhaps I was too ambitious?  I have been lazy with this resolution; in fact, I've done the exact opposite of what I planned to do by intentionally NOT praying daily.  I had originally made an alarm on my ipod that goes off once in the morning and once at night to remind me to pray. Now, every time the alarm goes off, I press snooze.  It's a bit of self sabotage, and I feel terrible about it.  It's like 5 minutes out of my day, why is it so hard for me to do this?  
    • To be fair, I did pray on Imbolc as part of my ritual, both in the morning and in the evening.  But that's one day out of how many since January 1st? However, while my grandfather was in the hospital I prayed quite a lot, mostly for him to either get better or pass on, because I couldn't bare to see him in a hospital bed any longer.
  •  Create an Altar upstairs. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle with this one.  Almost every time I walk into my room I think "Altar! We need one!" And then I look around and realize we no room.  We simply have too much shit everywhere.  We have no real place for clothes, and the closet is still full of boxes.  We desperately need to do some spring cleaning before we can establish an altar space.
  • Kiss in the rain.  For those of you who live in the bay area, you know that it has been uncharacteristically dry  this winter season, especially when  you compare it to last year's never-ending torrential downpour.  How am I supposed to kiss my lady in the rain when there's no rain?!

No comments:

Post a Comment