Monday, May 14, 2012

And Now Summer's Here!

I've been kind of dreading writing here these past couple of days, just because I didn't know what I was gonna write about, and every time I sat down to write I would end up dissatisfied with all I'd put in the post.  There are just so many things I wanna write about, but nothing seems to really flow the way I want it to. So... Here's what's been going on with me!

I just love puppies!

I juuuuust finished school last thursday.  That last week was the longest four days of my life.  Everyday I was writing page after page after page of essays and studying and all that.  Rough stuff.  I was also pretty busy socially, which was such a blessing!  On Tuesday night I got to go out to dinner with my friend Angela, which was a blast. I also skyped with another friend who is just finishing up school in Seattle, which was nice because I haven't talked to her in awhile. Then on Wednesday I went out to dinner with some former coworkers (for those of you living under a rock, I gave my two weeks notice about a month ago, so I'm officially no longer working in Berkeley).  I had a blast-- the ladies I worked with are amazing, and paid for dinner, even though I tried to sneak my card in when we got the bill-- and we talked and laughed all that jazzed.  If it were enough to work with them, I wouldn't have quit my job, but there was just too much I couldn't deal with.  They understand, but they miss me, and I really miss them.  However, the dinner was a fabulous success, and we will definitely be doing it again, with more people from work. Yay!



On Thursday, Kourtney and I went into the city to visit with Natalie, Laura and Aubrey (who I hadn't seen in a couple years!).  It was great to visit, even though we could only stay for a few hours.  I didn't realize how much I missed my friends until I saw them in the flesh, ya know?  I was like holy cow, why am I not hanging out with you all the time, you live right across the bridge!  And with all the stress of school, it was really great to kind of "debrief" with my buddies.  And of course, they all love Kourtney, so it was a great night overall.




Friday was a bit of a surprise, because I thought I was going to be home, but we ended up going into West Oakland for a family friend's housewarming party.  It was pretty fun, and we got to hear live music which is always awesome. And again, I got to see friends I hadn't seen in awhile.  The connections I have with people are quite solid, I've learned, and powerful.  I'm so grateful for the friends I have in my life.  Saturday was commencement, which gave me something to look forward to next year!  I dunno what it was about the ceremony, but as soon as I saw all the graduates walking to their seats that morning I got teary-eyed.  That was pretty much how the whole ceremony went for me-- constant tears.  And it's not like I was graduating, I was just watching! I guess I was just feeling a little bit of the energy bounding off the graduates; that overwhelming feeling of holy-crap-I-finally-made-it!, I worked hard for all those years and I finally reached my goal!  Maybe that's true for all colleges, but I feel it's especially so for Mills because it's an academically rigorous institution-- for the past month (or more) all of us have been frantically working, tirelessly, to finish final projects and essays and reading like maniacs.  Tears are a given; one of my peers told me, "It's not a matter of if you cry this semester, it's a matter of when and where."

Getting' your hood on!

I guess what I'm saying is that after all the tears and work and stress, to finally be at the end of this tunnel, to see the light and win the prize, it's an AMAZING feeling!  You did it!  You made it through, even though sometimes you were pretty positive that you couldn't write one more sentence about immigration detention centers or read one more paragraph about the intersectionality of oppressions, even though you felt like you just needed to give up, that you wouldn't be able to finish the semester, or the year, or the week.  I could feel that emanating from every graduate as they stepped onto that stage and accepted their hoods (academic regalia) and took a picture with President DeCoudreaux.  And I can't wait to feel that next year at I make my own journey across that stage, and then sing the college hymn for the last time as a Mills student.  I just have to, you know, finish my senior thesis and pass all my classes while I apply to grad schools and try to figure out what I really wanna do for the rest of my life....

No comments:

Post a Comment