Monday, June 18, 2012

Half-Assed, Belated May Resolutions Update

Beware.

May passed me by in a blur of papers and projects, but I did a few good things and kept my list alive.  I'm gonna keep this one shorter than the last ones, because frankly I'm tired and my brain feels foggy with fatigue.

Like I said before, I did a few good things in May.  I continued celebrating the Sabbats with Beltane (discussed in detail here) and had a grand old time making flower garlands and dancing at the maypole!  I've also been keeping an active spiritual life by head covering, which is now a near-daily occurrence for me, although I usually don't cover if I don't leave the house (I've been sick for the past week, so I spent a lot of time uncovered and in bed, constantly blowing my nose).

Hair Before Head Covering



There are a few pros and cons to head covering.  On the plus side, I feel a lot more aware not only of  my spiritual state and the presence of the Divine, but also my physical surroundings; I'm more alert, I guess.  And I don't know how that even works, but it's something I've noticed since I've started head covering.  I also don't have to worry as much about hairdos, which is awesome!  The downsides are that I am constantly checking my headscarves and adjusting them so they don't fall off my head, and since my hair is kinda slippery (not in an oily or dirty kinda way, just in a hair kinda way) the edge of the headscarf slowly recedes to the back of my head as the day goes by, even with hair clips, and sometimes I have to retie, which is mildly annoying.  I also don't get to experiment with new hairdos, which is a surprising downside because I'm usually not the kind of woman who fusses over her hair.  My typical hairstyle has been the bun or ponytail.  However, it's nice to let your hair down every once in awhile, and the styles I know for my headscarves don't allow for that.  And when I think about special occasions, and all the hairstyles I could do, I remember that I'm practicing head covering and I get a little bummed out.

This is what happens when you focus less on your hair and more on your boobs...

Now, I'm not required to head cover as a pagan, but I feel called to do it. So what does that mean?  What are the rules?  When should I cover and when is it okay to go without the scarf?  That's something I will have to work on myself as I continue to cover. Is it okay to have days where you don't cover, or is the sacrifice of hair styles part of the practice?  I don't know yet.

I've also continued to pray more often, due in part to head covering.  The head scarves serve as a reminder  for me to give thanks and pray daily.  Praying has become a little bit easier now, and I really enjoy having a time to connect with the Divine and give thanks for my blessings and ask for guidance.  So that's another plus to this whole resolutions thing.

So, I've been keeping up with prayer, I've been celebrating the Sabbats, and I've been keeping an active spiritual life.  Good stuff!



No comments:

Post a Comment