Tuesday, July 24, 2012

And In Other News...

Okay! Well, I haven't updated about myself in awhile, and that's not really a surprise because there hasn't been a whole lot going on in my life lately; for the first time since middle school my life has actually slowed down over summer break.  However, there have been a couple of things going on in my life, and I'd like to share them.

Workin' it out. Where's my mimosa?!



First off (and probably the biggest) is the fact that I have started going to the gym.  For those of you who know me well, you'll know that this is kind of a big deal!  I've never had a gym membership before, and I've often contemplated joining but never did for a number of rational and irrational reasons.   For one thing, I'm not exactly model material, and I have quite a few insecurities about my figure and working out in front of people that have kept me from doing a lot of things that I'd like to do, like go to the beach or take a hike or dance in the street without worrying about people eyeing me like I'm some kind of ugly banshee or something. I've spent most of my childhood and adolescence quite literally battling with my body, doing everything in my power to destroy it or ignore it or abuse it (and this is no mean feat for a girl who didn't drink, do drugs, or have sex in until well after graduation--except for the drugs, I seem to be really behind when it comes to experimentation...)  So, actually trying to treat my body fairly, after spending most of my life striving for the opposite, is a real big change for me. It's kind of a big deal.

How I feel after a workout...

It's been a little over a month since I got my membership, and I've been going to the gym four times a week with my mom, which is good because she basically makes me finish a workout whether I want to or not.  For the most part I've been a good sport about it.  I don't hate working out, although sometimes it makes me grouchy when I'm near the very end and all I want to do is take a nap, right there in the gym, on the mat next to the medicine balls and barbells.  However, I do feel pretty good after a workout, if I'm not so tired my arms and legs feel like jelly.  I'm also gaining some muscle (real, honest-to-goddess muscle!) in my arms, and I think my calves are also getting stronger, which is pretty cool, and although I haven't lost massive amounts of poundage, I'm losing some inches.  This is encouraging!  I'm trying to make it less about weight loss and more about being healthy and feeling better.  That being said, I'm not dropping pounds like the Biggest Loser but I am losing pounds-- just not at the speed of light, like celebrities and reality show contestants.

Will do, sand-eating baby!

In tandem with this new workout schedule, I've also stopped drinking soda and juice, I've cut out candy and sweets from my diet, and I've started actually trying to add iron to my diet (in addition to taking supplements-- I have iron deficiency anemia).  More veggies, more lean meats, less carbs (but not zero carbs, that's never gonna happen), more whole grains... and more water!  I'm not ashamed to say that I don't like water, and in my heart of hearts I know that if I had to choose water or iced tea, I'd pick iced tea every time, but drinking more water hasn't been the bane of my existence like I thought it would be. Oh, and in case you were wondering, according to my last blood test all of my cholesterol levels are simply fabulous.

I think that this change definitely counts as working on my resolutions list-- exercise more? Learn to love my body a little bit more? Check and check.

No comments:

Post a Comment