Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Rosh Hashanah?



I've been writing poems kind of sporadically these last few weeks.  Now, when I write, 9 times out of 10 I don't go back and rewrite (unless it's for school, because you should always edit your work when grades are involved).  So... what you see is what you get.  I've started a tab where I will keep updating the more I write, so you should check it out.  I don't want to be one of those people who posts their work on their blog all the time and then talks about how fabulous they are, but I would like to know if people like my stuff, so check it out!

In other news, there are a few holidays coming up, yes? Yes!  Here's an incomplete list for those of you who don't know:



  • Holy Cross Day-- A Christian celebration of the elevation of the life giving cross... I have no idea what that means, but it was on the calendar.
  • Rosh Hashanah-- Jewish New Year (sorry if I'm spelling it wrong, I didn't get to go to Hebrew school when I was little)
  • Ganesh Chaturthi, or Ganeshotsav-- the birthday of Ganesha (Hindu)
  • Mabon/Autumn Equinox-- celebration of the balance of light and dark, also the second of three harvest festivals for some pagan paths
  • Yom Kippur-- Jewish Day of Atonement (websites are saying this is the holiest holiday of the year)
  • Michaelmas-- The feast of St. Michael equated with the autumn equinox


Obviously  that's not a complete list of every holiday celebrated anywhere on earth in the month of September, but  there are some good ones in there, right?  The ones that are big on my list right now are Mabon (obviously) and Rosh Hashanah.  If you remember, I did NOT celebrate Passover this year (I was like HOLY CRAP IT'S PASSOVER ALREADY!!!!), but, knowing my own limitations, I made sure to include the high holidays on my list. SO. Rosh Hashanah is included in that.  But it's like a week away, and I am finding my self beginning to panic because of course I didn't bother to ask for a day off, to make plans, to figure out the ins and outs of the celebration or anything that even remotely resembles preparation for an unknown (for me) holiday.  Nice going, Ndeya.

And yes, there are other Jewish holidays before the clock strikes 12 on the 31st of December, but I'm just sayin', we're running out of time, and I don't want to end up having to celebrate Hanukkah because I couldn't get my shit together in time to celebrate Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur.  Nothing against Hanukkah-- who doesn't love chocolate coins and dreidels?-- but it seems like every non-Jew who wants to get an understanding of Judaism tries to do the whole Hanukkah thing without knowing that there are other Jewish holidays out there, some of them being of more importance than the festival of lights.  I mean, I'm pretty sure there are people out there who have only heard of Hanukkah, and don't know that there are other Jewish holidays at all.  I mean, I feel like I'm a pretty good seeker of knowledge, and I'm 99.99% sure there are Jewish holidays I haven't heard of yet. But I want to learn more about them, I want to go beyond the "Hannukah Minimum." I'm not looking just for the experience of celebrating; this is a sincere exploration of faith. How can I be secure in my own spiritual path if I have not looked beyond the scope of my faith?

Side note: totally had to go past the 1st google search page to find an acceptable holiday calendar. Most of them lump pagans and wiccans together for holidays that are celebrated by many wiccans and some other pagan paths, but certainly not all. Not every pagan is wiccan, so I find this to be a misrepresentation of the many paths that fit under the pagan umbrella. Also, when you look up holidays on google, a lot of the calendars include Protestant holidays (like Christmas or Easter) and U.S. national holidays (like Labor Day or Presidents Day), but they don't include much else.  For instance, if you are Eastern Orthodox, or hardcore Catholic, no saint days are available to you. If you're Jewish, you only have Hanukkah.  And if you're any kind of pagan except maybe Wiccan, forget about it. They have the solstices and equinoxes listed, but not as holidays so much as a marking of the seasons, like 'The first day of summer' or 'The first day of fall'.  Is it too much to ask for a mega calendar that represents everyone's religious observances? Maybe that should go on my to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment