Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October Resolutions Update

Autumn at Mills

It's been awhile since I last updated everyone on my resolutions list!  Let's get right to it, then:




Things I've Done Well

A lot of the stuff that I'll be able to cross of my list has been ongoing projects. I've been doing a great job blogging at least once a month, I'm writing on a regular basis, and I'm also incorporating prayer into my daily practice.  Head covering is going well-- more about that in a later post.  Also (and I know I've been saying this like every month, but this time I think it's for real) we are closer and closer to actually having an altar upstairs!  My mom is thinking of putting an altar at the top of the stairs for all of us to use, which will be awesome once we talk about what we're all looking for in an altar and set it up.  I would still like an individual altar in our room for personal use, but I love the idea of a family altar.

I also may or may not have found something that I'm passionate about: birthing justice.  This has hit me only recently, although I think that I've always been interested in birthing and reproductive justice in general.  I think I have finally figured out what I want to do with my life, and that's to go out and try to influence policies around maternity care, to create better outcomes for babies and mothers-- not just regarding mortality statistics, but in the experience of birth in the US today.  I want to help women achieve the birth they're looking for in a safe way, and I want to change the discourse around birthing and maternity care.  And I want to be a midwife-- I want to be right in the thick of things, I guess!  I find myself constantly online looking for blogs on birthing and motherhood, and I'm finding a lot of great stuff out there.  So many woman are looking to change the way they approach not only birth, but parenting.  They are challenging what it means to be a mother, what it means to be a father, and how one should raise children.  Talk about challenging the gender binary!  Talk about discussing religion and race and class and sexuality critically, in the hopes of imparting an open-mindedness to our children!  These blogs give me hope for the future, and I can only hope that I can contribute to the discourse and teach my own kids how to affect change in a world that will not only try to discriminate against them as individuals, but also as people whose parents are gay women of color.

I've got my work cut out for me.

Things I Haven't Completed


At this point in the year, I can no longer talk about things I "haven't done yet"-- I'm moving into the things I just "didn't get done." There were things on my list that needed a lot of time and energy to complete, and things that were time sensitive. For instance, resolved to celebrate 4 Esbats this year, and seeing as there are only 3 full moons left, and I haven't celebrated any at all, that resolution officially didn't get done. Likewise, I didn't participate in any of the high holy days this year because I've just been too unorganized and frazzled. So, those are both officially crossed off as DID NOT COMPLETE.  That's a bummer, but I have learned a few things-- for one, I don't think that celebrating Esbats is integral to my spiritual path, and that seems evident from the fact that I haven't bothered to celebrate any of them, and I don't really feel bad about it. Every person's path is different, and Esbats are kind of a Wiccan thing anyway (and I don't consider myself to be Wiccan). And as for the high holy days, I've learned that if I'm going to participate in Jewish holidays, I need to make time for them, and plan ahead.  The Jewish calendar is not the same as the Gregorian calendar, and I need wrap my head around that and plan accordingly for next year. 

There are, of course, things that I haven't completed but still have time to do.  I can still make jam, learn to knit hats, and make a blanket, and I was in fact going to try to make at least one of those for gift exchanging during Yule (which is going to be interesting to plan). Maybe I'll be filled with the winter spirit complete all of them, who knows?  Anyway, the point is that I still have some time to cross off a few more things on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment