Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween!






It is officially November, and although I've been dying to make a post I just have been so busy with school that I've had to put the blog on the back burner for a few weeks. Sorry about that.

Oh yeah, and Samhain was yesterday.  How about that?

Well, for some Samhain is actually still happening, if you go by the days starting at sunset (and some pagans out there do in fact go by this method of counting the days), but that's just being nit-picky, isn't it?

Anyway, Samhain, Halloween, Third Harvest, whatever you want to call it and however you'd like to celebrate it, it happened last night.  And I must say, I was worried it would be bad, but it actually turned out quite well. I was feeling really overwhelmed with all the work I've been doing, and I hadn't gotten any RSVPs for our Halloween dinner, so I was feeling a little despondent.  As I was getting ready to go to school yesterday, my mom asked if we should have the dinner, and in my anger and frustration I said, "Fine.  Just cancel it, I don't care."  And I left the house to catch the bus and before I knew it, I was crying.  I was just so tired.  And I had been looking forward to the 31st all year.  October is my favorite month, and Samhain is my favorite holiday.  All I wanted to do was spend it with my friends and family, and no one was coming.  My holiday was ruined.



After I calmed myself down and convinced myself that the world was in fact not going to end, my mom texted me, saying that we shouldn't cancel, that we would have fun even if no one showed up.  And to be honest, that made me feel a lot better. So!  I picked myself up, changed my attitude, and kind of centered myself-- I got into the Halloween spirit.

And you know what?  I had a really good day.  We got to play games in my theory class, we watched a depressing but interesting movie in social inequality, and I had a planning meeting for our annual festival of light and dark, which I'm pretty excited about. I'll talk more about that in a later post.  Anyway, after that I made my way back to Alameda to pick up a meat thermometer and then my mom picked me up and we went home.  I carved a jack o'lantern, which was fun (I smelled like pumpkin guts for the rest of the night).  And then, who would have thought-- people actually showed up!  We ended up with a nice crowd, mostly family, but also our close friends.  To all you who showed up, thank you.  It was so nice to spend the holiday with you all, and you really pulled my spirits.  I really appreciate you taking the time to break bread with us.

So the night ended quite well, with food and cider and candy and great conversation (and Hocus Pocus in the background), and it really reminded me of all the good people I have in my life, all I have to be thankful for.  Life may have its ups and downs, but I've got great people who support me and make life just... awesome.  I really needed to be reminded of that.

And, drumroll please....



Our phones came in!  I am now the owner of an iPhone 5!  It's my first iPhone!!!  And we had been waiting for our order to come in, but the shipping had been delayed.  We figured that they wouldn't be in until maybe next week, but when I got home there was a package waiting for me. It's a Samhain Miracle!

I hope everyone else had a wonder Halloween, Samhain, Third Harvest, what-have-you, I hope it was full of good food and good company!

No comments:

Post a Comment