Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Happiest Place on Earth

I'm on a roll! I'm in the front seat on the road to destiny! 

News, news, news!

I know, it's been awhile since my last post. I don't really have an excuse for it, because when I look back on all the things I've done since September, I know I could've fit a post in somewhere. To be honest, I had a few instances where I thought, "Hey, I should post such-and-such on my blog!" But it would be at the most inopportune moments, like when I'm using the watching Doctor Who or skydiving or wrestling bears. Anyway, here's an update about what's been going on with me these days:



Firstly, I got engaged. For people who know me, this is perhaps not surprising in the slightest. Kourtney and I have been together for almost six years (our anniversary is in January), and we've been pretty much inseparable since we met eight years ago-- I think people saw this coming. But it's still kind of exciting to tell people that we're engaged. Now I can pin wedding stuff on pinterest and no one thinks it's weird! Anyway, Kourtney proposed to me while we were in Disneyland, in front of the Sleeping Beauty's Castle. I know, super romantical. And she really surprised me-- I mean, we've been talking about marriage for awhile, but I truly didn't know that she had planned to propose to me, in front of strangers, so publicly! It was perfect. It's funny because Kourtney and I don't think of ourselves as romantic or cutesy, but when people interact with us they just think we're the cutest couple ever. This proposal certainly adds fuel to that fire.



So now we're in the beginning stages of planning a wedding. We have no idea what we're doing. But we have a lot to do in the next year to prepare for this wedding and everything. That means moving into a new apartment, filling out paperwork for a name change (Kourtney and I decided that instead of taking on one of our own last names, we would pick a new one, which makes it a bit more complicated), getting new passports, blah blah blah. And this will all be happening amid a bunch of other life changing things, like applying to grad schools, getting a full time job, all the things we were already planning to do before we decided to get married. This far away from the wedding it seems like not a big deal, but with each passing day those things will become more urgent, they will need more of my attention, and I will probably begin to slowly lose my mind.



Luckily, I have so much support while Kourtney and I take this next step in our lives together, so it is not so scary. And believe me, as excited as I am, it IS scary. Change is always scary-- it's new and hard to navigate sometimes. But I am so excited and ready to face it. And I've got my girl, who will be going through it with me. She keeps me strong. She reminds me that life is good. So I am looking forward to this year of planning, and for everything else life has in store for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment