Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Marriage, a Mystery (Plus Amazon Dupes Me Again)

So here are a few updates about me....



Firstly, Amazon suckered me into Kindle Unlimited, so I pay 10 bucks a month to rent books. I did it because I really wanted to read The Lord of the Rings but I didn't want to spend 8 bucks for each volume (turns out you can get them as one volume for 10 bucks, lesson learned) so I decided to get them "for free". They trick you by putting the price as $0.00 if you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited. They tricked me good. However, I've never read any of the LOTR books, so it's been nice to be able to read them at my leisure on my Kindle. And on the plus side, I have access to a ton of other books through this new program. We'll see if it's actually worth $10 a month.



Secondly, I'm getting married in 32 days. Yay! In fact, on Monday Kourtney and I went to the county clerk's office and got our marriage license so this whole thing is getting pretty real! Since we're now a month away from the wedding there are a lot of things that Kourtney and I need to plan that we pretty much forgot about. Well, maybe forgot is not the right word. Here's the thing-- we have no idea how to plan a wedding because we've never done it before! I personally didn't know all that went into planning a wedding, all the considerations I had to remember. For instance, we have no idea what to do for the rehearsal dinner, we don't know where our out of town guests will be staying, I don't have any wedding day accessories and I still don't know what I'm going to do with my hair.


See that hair? IT CAN'T BE TAMED.

In addition to the nervousness around pulling this whole wedding thing off, I'm nervous about life post-wedding. I'm not nervous about spending the rest of my life with Kourtney. I just don't know what the rest of my life looks like, if that makes sense. What is going to happen after our wedding day? Will we move out of state? Will I finally get my act together and go to graduate school? Will we ever make enough money to start having kids? These questions have been stewing in my brain for quite some time, but now that we are approaching this transition into married life they feel so much more pressing and even burdensome. Does being married mean I can no longer take risks, make mistakes, or try new things? Is it going to be me and Kourtney against the world, or will we still have our families as a safety net and support?



This is how we look when we're under pressure.

And of course there are all of the things we'll have to relearn as a married couple, like filing our taxes jointly. How does that even work? And what about all the important paperwork that my parents always seemed to have on hand when I was little like insurance cards and birth certificates and bank statements? Am I supposed to buy a file cabinet like my parents did, and what are things I should keep on hand? Where to people find out these things?!







No comments:

Post a Comment